Coaching is defined by the International Coach Federation (ICF) as “partnering with clients in a thought provoking and creative process that inspires them to maximise their personal and professional potential”.
It is a collaborative process, in which you and I work together to address aspects of your personal and/or professional life that you have identified as areas in which you would like to achieve more.
It is different from other processes such as consulting: instead, coaching is future-focused, and the content of each session is designed by you – choosing the goals or vision you have of what you would like to achieve. In personal life coaching or professional career coaching, you drive the sessions with your agenda and thinking; it is not about being taught or given advice, but about my supporting you to think creatively, promoting self-awareness, i.e. it is a solution-focused process that recognises that you are the expert of your life, and that I as the coach am there to help you access that expertise to move yourself forward and to identify solutions that fit with who you are and want to be, through the use of listening, reflection, powerful questions and appropriate challenging.
In this way, it is also different from counselling or therapy, which often uses a problem-solving approach, i.e. looking to past experiences to understand your responses in the present.
The Coaching Relationship
In our first session, we will begin to think about what you want to get out of this process, i.e. your vision or ideas, always bearing in mind that these may change as we start to work together. From there, we can start to identify your goals and define an action plan to maximize your potential for achieving these.
As your personal life coach or your professional career coach, I am responsible for holding the coaching process, and as the coachee it is your responsibility to identify and bring the topics, i.e. content, that you would like to work on.
Our coaching relationship works best if;
- You start your coaching journey with commitment and motivation
- You are willing to be open and honest with yourself and me in our sessions
- You are open to learning new ways of thinking and behaving
- You are willing to take responsibility for bringing your goals and aspirations to each session
- You are willing to take responsibility for completing identified/agreed actions between our sessions
In return and always with your permission, I will;
- Actively and objectively listen to what you bring to the session
- Ask questions that help to increase your own discovery, insights and responsibility
- Respectfully challenge you to think in new and creative ways
- Ask you to identify relevant actions arising from each session for you to complete between sessions
- Provide direct advice
- Provide counselling or therapy (but I can refer you if this is required)
- Guarantee outcomes for you – that remains your responsibility, at all times, through your chosen actions.
My Coaching Style
I enjoy and adopt a holistic, collaborative, supportive approach to personal life coaching and professional career coaching, along with the appropriate use of gentle humour. If, at any time, you feel my way of coaching isn’t working for you I encourage you to let me know.
I can provide individual coaching face to face, by FaceTime, Skype, VSee or telephone to suit your individual preferences or needs.